Quick Links

Daily Readings

Daily Scripture Readings, Troparion and Kontakion

Read More

Holy Fathers

Selected quotes and teachings of the Holy Fathers

Read More

Saints

Learn about the lives of the saints of the Orthodox Church

Read More

Menologion



Daily Reading

Monday

LITURGY

Acts 12:12-17

12 And when he had considered the thing, he came to the house of Mary the mother of John, whose surname was Mark; where many were gathered together praying. 13 And as Peter knocked at the door of the gate, a damsel came to hearken, named Rhoda. 14 And when she knew Peter's voice, she opened not the gate for gladness, but ran in, and told how Peter stood before the gate. 15 And they said unto her, Thou art mad. But she constantly affirmed that it was even so. Then said they, It is his angel. 16 But Peter continued knocking: and when they had opened the door, and saw him, they were astonished. 17 But he, beckoning unto them with the hand to hold their peace, declared unto them how the Lord had brought him out of the prison. And he said, Go shew these things unto James, and to the brethren. And he departed, and went into another place.


John 8:42-51

42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. 43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. 44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. 45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not. 46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? 47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God. 48 Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil? 49 Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me. 50 And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth. 51 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.

+ + +

HOLY APOSTLE SIMON THE ZEALOT
ST COMGALL, ABBOT OF BANGOR

Troparion of St Simon the Zealot Tone 3
O glorious Simon, when God Incarnate revealed Himself to thee/ thou wast kindled with divine zeal./ Thou wast a zealot among the Apostles and eager to emulate Christ's death./ Thou didst go forth to Him by crucifixion./ Entreat Him to grant us His great mercy.

Troparion of St Comgall Tone 4
O Comgall, 'Father of Monks',/ thou didst train four thousand monastics./ Thou didst kindle Christ's fire in Bangor/ and thy cell was aglow in pagan darkness./ O friend of Saint Colum Cille,/ thou radiancy of Ireland and Scotland/ we praise God Who has glorified thee.

Kontakion of St Simon the Zealot Tone 3
Let us praise Simon who preached God:/ his doctrines of wisdom took firm root in pious souls./ He now stands before the throne/ and rejoices with the Angels,/ interceding unceasingly for us all.

Comments