Quick Links

Daily Readings

Daily Scripture Readings, Troparion and Kontakion

Read More

Holy Fathers

Selected quotes and teachings of the Holy Fathers

Read More

Saints

Learn about the lives of the saints of the Orthodox Church

Read More

Menologion



Daily Reading

20th Sunday after Pentecost

MATINS (IX)

John 20:19-31

     19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. 20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the LORD. 21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. 22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: 23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained. 24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. 25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the LORD. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe. 26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. 27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. 28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My LORD and my God. 29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed. 30 And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.




LITURGY

Galatians 1:11-19

     11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. 12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ. 13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it: 14 And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers. 15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, 16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood: 17 Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus. 18 Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days. 19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.


Luke 5:1-11

     1 And it came to pass, that, as the people pressed upon him to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Gennesaret, 2 And saw two ships standing by the lake: but the fishermen were gone out of them, and were washing their nets. 3 And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship. 4 Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught. 5 And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net. 6 And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake. 7 And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink. 8 When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord. 9 For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had taken: 10 And so was also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, which were partners with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men. 11 And when they had brought their ships to land, they forsook all, and followed him.



+ + + 

HOLY MARTYR CALLISTRATUS AND THE FORTY NINE HOLY MARTYRS WITH HIM
ST SABBATIUS OF SOLOVIETSK
ST BARROG

Troparion of St Callistratus    Tone 3
Strengthened by the Holy Spirit thou wast glorious in contest/ and didst cast down the enemy, O Martyr Callistratus./ And thou dost offer a noble army of athletes/ as incense to Christ./ With them pray for us who praise thee with hymns.

Troparion of St Sabbatius of Solovietsk    Tone 3
Thou didst abandon the world and fight the good fight/ by hardship, vigil and prayer./ Pray to Christ our God to save our souls, O holy Father Sabbatius.

Troparion of St Barrog    Tone 8
Light of the West, inspirer of monastics and boast of ascetics,/ thy radiant life was pleasing to God, O Father Barrog./ Do not reject us in our pitiable state but pray, O Saint,/ that repenting and weeping we may be found worthy of a place in Christ's holy Kingdom.


Kontakion of St Callistratus    Tone 4
Like stars you have shone upon the world/ and shed the light of contests and miracles on all who cry to you:/ Rejoice Callistratus with your company of fellow Martyrs.


Kontakion of St Sabbatius    Tone 2
Fleeing the turmoil of life/ thou didst dwell on an island in the sea./ Thou didst take up thy cross and follow Christ/ and toil in vigils, fasting and hardships./ Thou hast become the adornment of the righteous/ and we lovingly celebrate thy memory./ Pray to Christ our God  to save our souls, O righteous Sabbatius.

22-28
SATURDAY AFTER THE LEAVETAKING OF THE FEAST OF THE ELEVATION OF THE PRECIOUS CROSS: SYNAXIS OF THE RIGHTEOUS FATHERS OF THE NEAR KIEVAN CAVES


Troparion    Tone 4
We bring to Thee in prayer, O Christ, great Anthony and the assembly of the God-bearing Fathers;/ they are a fiery Pillar and a brilliant sun shining from the Kievan Caves./ By their prayers grant grace to our monastery and great mercy to our souls.

Kontakion    Tone 2
Let us honour with praises the ascetic choir/ as we behold them with our minds and in spirit./ As we venerate their relics, let us bring gifts of love,/ for they pray to God for our souls.

Comments