Quick Links

Daily Readings

Daily Scripture Readings, Troparion and Kontakion

Read More

Holy Fathers

Selected quotes and teachings of the Holy Fathers

Read More

Saints

Learn about the lives of the saints of the Orthodox Church

Read More

Menologion



Daily Reading

Friday

LITURGY

Acts 10:44-11:10

     44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, 47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days. 1 And the apostles and brethren that were in Judaea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God. 2 And when Peter was come up to Jerusalem, they that were of the circumcision contended with him, 3 Saying, Thou wentest in to men uncircumcised, and didst eat with them. 4 But Peter rehearsed the matter from the beginning, and expounded it by order unto them, saying, 5 I was in the city of Joppa praying: and in a trance I saw a vision, A certain vessel descend, as it had been a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came even to me: 6 Upon the which when I had fastened mine eyes, I considered, and saw fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. 7 And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat. 8 But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth. 9 But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common. 10 And this was done three times: and all were drawn up again into heaven.

John 8:21-30

     21 Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come. 22 Then said the Jews, Will he kill himself? because he saith, Whither I go, ye cannot come. 23 And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. 24 I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins. 25 Then said they unto him, Who art thou? And Jesus saith unto them, Even the same that I said unto you from the beginning. 26 I have many things to say and to judge of you: but he that sent me is true; and I speak to the world those things which I have heard of him. 27 They understood not that he spake to them of the Father. 28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things. 29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him. 30 As he spake these words, many believed on him.

+ + + 

HOLY MARTYR SIMEON, BISHOP OF PERSIA
ST ZOSIMAS OF SOLOVKI
ST MACARIOS, METROPOLITAN OF CORINTH

Troparion of St Simeon    Tone 4
As instructor of the divinely inspired doctrines/ thou didst train martyrs for contest by thy words and deeds./ O holy Hierarch Simeon,/ thou didst suffer with them and cry out to Christ while hastening to Him:/ We are counted as sheep for the slaughter for love of thee, O Saviour.

Troparion of St Zozimas of Solovki    Tone 4
O wise Father Zosimas, thou didst make the wilderness thy dwelling,/ intent on the Kingdom of Heaven./ Thou didst live as an earthly angel in fasting, vigil and prayer./ Thy abundant tears made the wilderness sprout and blossom./ As thou hast boldness with God, remember thy children.

Troparion of St Macarios of Corinth    Tone l
Let us praise Macarios, Hierarch of Corinth, adornment of Chios,/ radiant in deed, word and prayer:/ he has received from God the power to heal/ and to cast out spirits./ Glory to the Father Who has chosen him; glory to the Son Who has exalted him;/ glory to the Holy Spirit Who through him works healings for all.

Kontakion of St Simeon    Tone 4
O Simeon, thou didst shine forth from Persia/ with thy holy band of martyrs like radiant stars from the East./ We praise thee with them.

Kontakion of St Zosimas of Solovki    Tone 8
Wounded with love for Christ thou didst take His Cross on thy shoulders./ In divine armour with unceasing prayer as thy lance/ thou didst hew down the legions of demons./ So we cry to thee: Rejoice, Father Zosimas, holy adornment of monks.

Kontakion of St Macarios of Corinth    Tone 3
The Island of Chios sings praises to Macarios, Hierarch of Corinth:/ In heaven the Hierarchs receive him;/ the Martyrs, for he trained them for contest;/ the Ascetics, for he was of their number./ Through his prayers, O Christ our God, save our souls.

Comments