Quick Links

Daily Readings

Daily Scripture Readings, Troparion and Kontakion

Read More

Holy Fathers

Selected quotes and teachings of the Holy Fathers

Read More

Saints

Learn about the lives of the saints of the Orthodox Church

Read More

Menologion



Daily Reading:

Thursday

LITURGY

Acts 25:13-19

     And after certain days king Agrippa and Bernice came unto Caesarea to salute Festus. And when they had been there many days, Festus declared Paul's cause unto the king, saying, There is a certain man left in bonds by Felix: About whom, when I was at Jerusalem, the chief priests and the elders of the Jews informed me, desiring to have judgment against him. To whom I answered, It is not the manner of the Romans to deliver any man to die, before that he which is accused have the accusers face to face, and have licence to answer for himself concerning the crime laid against him. Therefore, when they were come hither, without any delay on the morrow I sat on the judgment seat, and commanded the man to be brought forth. Against whom when the accusers stood up, they brought none accusation of such things as I supposed: But had certain questions against him of their own superstition, and of one Jesus, which was dead, whom Paul affirmed to be alive.

John 16:23-33

     And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you. Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father. At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you: For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God. I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father. His disciples said unto him, Lo, now speakest thou plainly, and speakest no proverb. Now are we sure that thou knowest all things, and needest not that any man should ask thee: by this we believe that thou camest forth from God. Jesus answered them, Do ye now believe? Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me. These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

+ + + 

HOLY FATHERS OF THE SECOND ECUMENICAL COUNCIL
HOLY MARTYR BASILISCUS, NEPHEW OF ST THEODORE THE TYRO

Troparion of the Second Ecumenical Council    Tone 8
Most glorious art Thou, O Christ our God,/ Who hast placed our holy Fathers like stars over the earth,/ and didst guide us all to the Faith through them./ O most merciful Lord, glory to Thee.

Troparion of St Basiliscus    Tone 5
O glorious Saint, thou wast offered, through thy steadfast contest,/ as a royal sacrifice to the King of Ages,/ the Prize-bestowing God./ O Basiliscus,/ thou wast a valiant soldier of the Truth/ who didst destroy error/ and who dost pray to Christ our God for us all.

Kontakion of the Second Ecumenical Council    Tone 8
The Apostles' preaching and the Father's doctrine confirmed the one Faith in the Church./ She wears the garment of truth woven from the theology on high,/ and rightly divides and glorifies the great mystery of holiness.

Kontakion of St Basiliscus    Tone 4
Thou art heir to the Kingdom of Heaven, O glorious Martyr Basiliscus./ Save those who cry to thee:/ Rejoice, O holy adornment of Martyrs.

Comments