Quick Links

Daily Readings

Daily Scripture Readings, Troparion and Kontakion

Read More

Holy Fathers

Selected quotes and teachings of the Holy Fathers

Read More

Saints

Learn about the lives of the saints of the Orthodox Church

Read More

Menologion



On the Most Holy Theotokos

From Fr. Silouan the Athonite


O, if we might only know the Love of the Most Holy Mother of God for all who keep the Commandments of Christ, and how She pities and sorrows over sinners who do not reform!...

Verily is She our advocate before God, and alone the sound of Her name rejoices the soul. But all heaven and earth, too, rejoice in Her Love. Here is the wondrous thing that passed understanding: She dwells in heaven and ever beholds the Glory of God, yet She does not forget us, poor wretches though we are, and spreads Her compassion over the whole earth, over all the peoples.

And this Most Pure Mother of His, the Lord has bestowed on us. She is our joy and our expectation. She is our Mother in the Spirit, and kin to us by nature, as a human being, and every Christian soul leaps to Her in Love.

What could I give our Most Holy sovereign Lady for coming to me and bringing enlightenment, instead of turning away in loathing from my sin? I did not behold Her with my eyes, but the Holy Spirit gave me to know Her through Her words, which were filled with Grace, and my spirit rejoices and my soul leaps to Her in love, so that the mere invocation of Her name is sweet to my heart.


O, if we might only know the love of the most holy Mother of God for all who keep the commandments of Christ, and how she pities and sorrows over sinners who do not reform! I had experience of this myself. Of a truth I say, speaking before God, Whom my soul knoweth: in spirit I know the Most Pure Virgin. I never beheld her but the Holy Spirit gave me to know her and her love for us.

Were it not for her compassion I would have perished long ago but she was minded to come to me and enlighten me, so that I should not sin. This is what she said: 'It is painful for me to look upon thee, at what thou doest.' And her words, soft, quiet and gentle, wrought upon my soul.

Over forty years have gone by since then, but my soul can never forget those sweet words, and I know not what to return to make for such love towards my sinful self, nor how to give thanks to the good and forbearing Mother of God.

Verily is she our advocate before God, and alone the sound of her name rejoices the soul. But all heaven and earth, too, rejoice in her love.

Here is a wondrous thing which passes understanding: she dwells in
heaven and ever beholds the glory of God, yet she does not forget us, poor wretches that we are, and spreads her compassion over the whole earth, over all peoples.

And this most pure Mother of His, the Lord has bestowed on us. She is our joy and our expectation. She is our Mother in the spirit, and kin to us by nature, as a human being, and every Christian soul leaps to her in love.

Comments