Quick Links

Daily Readings

Daily Scripture Readings, Troparion and Kontakion

Read More

Holy Fathers

Selected quotes and teachings of the Holy Fathers

Read More

Saints

Learn about the lives of the saints of the Orthodox Church

Read More

Menologion



From a modern elder...

An (Athonite) elder said:

Once I was on a bus. What a situation! Somebody asked the driver to lower the radio. “We have a priest among us,” he said, for they had noticed me. The driver put the sound higher.

I was saying the Jesus Prayer. The person who had spoken wanted to help me, but I said, “It doesn’t bother me,” for I was thinking: if, God forbid, there were an accident and they brought all the people out of the bus – one having a broken leg, another an injured head, another crying, and perhaps even a little child hurt – how could I endure such a sight? “Thanks be to God,” I said to myself, “Everyone here is well and they can even sing!”

“Thus the noise became the foundation tone for my prayer. They behaved the way they wanted, and I did just fine.

There is no other way but to face all situations with a positive attitude, and to try to put yourself in the other person’s place. Instead so often we try to have our own way, and the world becomes a madhouse. When a person puts himself in another’s place, things fall into order.

Take for example an old woman and her daughter-in-law. The younger woman should try to put herself in the elderly one’s place and say to herself, “How would I want to be treated? When I am an old, drooling woman would I want my grandchildren making fun of me? And my daughter-in-law snapping at me? Would I like that? So how should I behave toward my mother-in-law?”

From An Athonite Gerontikon

Comments