Quick Links

Daily Readings

Daily Scripture Readings, Troparion and Kontakion

Read More

Holy Fathers

Selected quotes and teachings of the Holy Fathers

Read More

Saints

Learn about the lives of the saints of the Orthodox Church

Read More

Menologion



Sayings of the Holy Fathers:

Brethren! let us open the book of our conscience and dispassionately read in it all of our sinful thoughts, desires, intentions, words and deeds. Let us also imagine that we are standing at the dread judgement of Jesus Christ, Who knows down to the jot not only our every word and deed, but our innermost thoughts as well. He will judge us not only for our actions, but also for every idle word; He will "bring to light what darkness hides and disclose our inward motives"( 1 Cor. 4:5) and will render unto each according to his works with the strictest justice.

St. John of Kronstadt

10 Homilies on the Beatitudes.


+ + +



"I have held many things in my hands, and I have lost them all; but whatever I have placed in God's hands, that I still possess."

St. Augustine

+ + +

"The enemy knows that prayer is our invincible weapon against him, and so he tries to keep us from praying. He fills us with a desire for secular learning, and encourages us to spend our time on studies that we have already renounced. Let us resist his suggestions; otherwise,if we neglect our own fields and go wandering elsewhere, we shall harvest thorns and thistles instead of figs and grapes. "For the wisdom of this world is folly in God's sight" (I Corinthians 3:19)."

St. John of Karpathos
+ + +
"The good Physician calls me and demands no payment, nor does hespill my blood. But my slothfulness prevents me from going to Him. Hecomes Himself to heal me, but always finds me engaged in acts that prevent His remedies from rendering me their healing power. O Lord, enlighten and sober me. Cure me and I will be cured."
St.Ephraim the Syrian

Comments