Quick Links

Daily Readings

Daily Scripture Readings, Troparion and Kontakion

Read More

Holy Fathers

Selected quotes and teachings of the Holy Fathers

Read More

Saints

Learn about the lives of the saints of the Orthodox Church

Read More

Menologion



Daily Reading:

Monday

LITURGY

2 Corinthians 12:10-19

     Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me: for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing am I behind the very chiefest apostles, though I be nothing. Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds. For what is it wherein ye were inferior to other churches, except it be that I myself was not burdensome to you? forgive me this wrong. Behold, the third time I am ready to come to you; and I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not your's but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children. And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved. But be it so, I did not burden you: nevertheless, being crafty, I caught you with guile. Did I make a gain of you by any of them whom I sent unto you? I desired Titus, and with him I sent a brother. Did Titus make a gain of you? walked we not in the same spirit? walked we not in the same steps? Again, think ye that we excuse ourselves unto you? we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying.

Mark 4:10-23

     And when he was alone, they that were about him with the twelve asked of him the parable. And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables: That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them. And he said unto them, Know ye not this parable? and how then will ye know all parables? The sower soweth the word. And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word that was sown in their hearts. And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately receive it with gladness; And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake, immediately they are offended. And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word, And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful. And these are they which are sown on good ground; such as hear the word, and receive it, and bring forth fruit, some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some an hundred. And he said unto them, Is a candle brought to be put under a bushel, or under a bed? and not to be set on a candlestick? For there is nothing hid, which shall not be manifested; neither was any thing kept secret, but that it should come abroad. If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.

+ + +

TRANSLATION OF THE RELICS OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
HOLY APOSTLE TITUS, FIRST BISHOP

Troparion of St Bartholomew    Tone 5
O wise Bartholomew,/ thy holy relics appeared like the dawn/ shining in the East and coming to the West./ They shine with the gifts/ of the Daystar of life/ and dispel the darkness of diseases/ from those who approach them with faith and hope.

Troparion of St Titus    Tone 5
Thou didst receive thy call from heaven,/ to learn about sacred things/ and of thy Master's coming to earth in the flesh./ Thou didst witness His deeds and wast filled with the light of grace./ As companion of Paul and preacher of the Faith/ thou didst enlighten Crete with the word of Godliness,/ O blessed Apostle Titus.

Kontakion of St Bartholomew    Tone 4
Thou didst appear as a great sun to the world/ with miracles and rays of teachings./ Thou dost guide to the light/ all who venerate thee,/ O Bartholomew, Apostle of the Lord.

Kontakion of St Titus    Tone 2
Thou wast a companion of Paul, O Apostle Titus,/ and with him thou didst preach the word of grace and reveal glorious mysteries./ Wherefore we cry to thee:/ Unceasingly pray for us all.

Comments